In case you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of birthdays. Between the attention, the presents, and the whistling telegrams delivered to my office door (oh yes, be jealous!) birthdays are something I look forward to each year. And yet! Because I'm a vegan, birthdays are always slightly awkward, as my co-workers want to bring a cake to work to celebrate, but they know I won't eat it if it's not vegan, and they would make a vegan cake but they don't know how, and also we live in Deep East Texas, where the closest thing to a vegan bakery is easily 120 miles away. To solve this problem and make everyone feel better, I like to bake something on my own behalf and share it with my well-meaning friends and colleagues. Everyone feels good, everyone enjoys dessert, and I get to spread the wonder of vegan baking just a little bit further.
For my first birthday at my new job, I decided to keep it simple and make vegan cupcakes for my small office. This recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and it's just like every recipe Isa and Terry create. Which is another way of saying: perfect.
Golden Vanilla Cupcakes, from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
You Will Need:
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine (I use Earth Balance)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.
- If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. (Don’t beat past 2 minutes.) Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
- If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.