Monday, September 27, 2010

weekend adventures and 5k race report

Before I tell you about my exciting, busy and productive weekend, I would like to draw your attention to the weather. It is currently 52 degrees in East Texas. Yes, you read that correctly. Fifty. Two Degrees. Today's projected high? 80. I'm hoping this is the real deal and not a fake foray into fall, because a girl could get used to seasonably appropriate weather. But enough about the autumn.

I had a great weekend! And I even took a few photos! Let me show them to you.

We kicked things off Friday night by delivering a pizza to the MRTs and taking the opportunity to buy a second pizza for ourselves. We had actually stayed out late the previous evening (on a school night! scandalous!) and decided to stay in, eat pizza, and watch new episodes of Glee, 30 Rock and The Office. Needless to say, it was a very good night.

We woke up early on Saturday so we would have time to walk the dogs, eat breakfast, and digest before the Helping House 5K! Yes, it was the first 5K of the season - a local event to raise money for a school for autistic kids. We arrived on time, got our numbers pinned on, and milled about waiting for the event to start. This was the organizers' first race and they did a really good job of running a smooth event. The course was flat and well marked, there was plenty of food and water before and after the race, and the atmosphere was laid back and friendly. The only downside was that it was about 85 degrees and humid, and they didn't start the race until 9am. That's just too late for September in East Texas, and my pace definitely suffered. It didn't help that I started out way too fast (as usual) and ended up slowing down considerably in the second half. I was passed by one woman, and then another, but then I found my groove and stuck with it. I ended up finishing the race in 26.01 - an overall pace of 8:23. Not a PR, but a great way to start the season. Plus, I ended up finishing 3rd Overall Female, and won a large basket of random stuff donated by a local company. What? Yes! (Which also means, until I got passed by those two women, I was in first place. Crazy!)

I picked up fliers for a few more local 5K's and it appears that we can do one every month from now until December. I'm calling it the Local 5K Series, and I'm hoping to run a sub-25 minute race by the Jingle Bell 5K on December 4th. I love racing!

Third place! (Not pictured: basket o'crap.)

After the race, we showered and then went to Jalapeno Tree (despite my vow to never go there again). I made an exception because the local running group that I am sort of a part of was having a quarterly meeting. I say "sort of" because while I am a member of their message board, I had yet to attend a meeting, go on a group run, or jump in a pre-race photo. They're a really nice bunch of people and while they're all at different levels of ability, they all love running a lot. I'm hoping to be more involved with them, especially as marathon training takes my running (and resolve) up a notch.

When the meeting ended, I came home and got picked up by Sonnie. We had a Ladies' Date, and did some shopping in town and finished the afternoon with coffee and gossip. It was a really nice outing and so good to spend time with one of my favorite friends. And speaking of friends, after I left Sonnie, I went out again, this time to the SFA football game, to meet Eralda and her son Jack. It was my first ever college football game and I was surprised by the fact that I had a really good time. I still don't understand football all that well, but I'm pretty sure I could go pro as far as people watching goes.

We ended our very exciting, busy and social Saturday at Eralda's house, with Amy and David, where Eralda made us a delicious Thai coconut curry and I drank too much wine. And then it was time for bed.

Sunday was less busy, but no less exciting. It centered around the home - we managed to finish the stone path we've been building in the our "backyard," and make a ton of progress on the new linoleum in the kitchen. Here are some progress shots of the kitchen - I'll post a full unveiling, complete with before and afters, when the project is complete. Even at just 3/4 of the way done, the kitchen already looks amazing. I'm so happy!

All in all, a perfect weekend. The only disappointment was my lack of a long run on Sunday. I should have done at least ten, but I slept in (too much wine on Saturday, remember?) and then we were making too much progress on the floor to stop for an evening run. Neither of those are very good excuses (especially the hangover) and I know that, but this week marks four months until the Houston Marathon, so I plan to take my training more seriously than I have in recent weeks. Every day is a chance to start over, right? Right!

I hope y'all had a great weekend as well! I've got a busy week ahead of me, and I'm sure you'll hear all about it. Until then!