Friday, March 16, 2012

Azaelas and Apple Pie

When we moved into our house this past August (almost eight months ago - crazy!) our backyard was lush, green, and woefully overgrown. Since then, we've done quite a bit of landscaping and it's looking a thousand times better. About a week ago, our azalea bushes started blooming, which was the perfect way to celebrate spring break. It also made me a little homesick for Texas - Nacogdoches is well known for it's azalea trails and gardens, and I used to love riding my bike through the arboretum when they were in full bloom. Seeing those same flowers in my backyard has been a nice reminder of those slow spring days.

Nacogdoches is also the blueberry capital of Texas and hosted the state blueberry festival each June. It just so happens that Burgaw, just outside Wilmington and the site of our future wedding, is the host of the official blueberry festival of North Carolina. Funny how things work out.

Wednesday was Pi Day (Pi being 3.14, and Wednesday being March 14) and I celebrated by baking a pie at the last minute, as usual. This year I made an apple pie with a coconut oil crust. I am terrible at making pretty pie crusts, but since they taste fine even if they're ugly, I'm not too broken up about it. (I do, however, think the apple pie I made two years ago was cuter. Sorry, this year's pie.)

This morning I decided to run first, rather than third or fourth or not at all. It's supposed to be 81 degrees today (!) and there's also a chance of thunderstorms in the late afternoon, so I knew my window for a run was already closing. I haven't been running much late, mostly due to Chicago, the worst cold in the world, and my current obsession with yoga, so I knew it wasn't going to easy. I headed out at 8:30AM with the goal of running five miles, and friends: I succeeded. It wasn't pretty, I had to blow a snot rocket every few feet, and I was dripping with sweat at the end, but I did it. I had missed early morning runs (well, earlier - 8:30 is still pretty late, considering I used to be out the door by six). It'll be nice to get back into the habit this summer.

As soon as I got back to the house, I told the dogs that it was time for their morning walk. They ran to the porch and I tried to get a photo of them, sitting sweetly and waiting for their leashes, but they were a little excited. 

Finally, I convinced them to stop jumping and wrestling, and got them to pose for this photo. I'll take what I can get.

Just a few more days of spring break left, and then it's back to waking up early, going to classes, and staying home on weeknights. Which means I better take advantage of this freedom while I still can! Hope you all have a lovely Friday and a great weekend. <3