Monday, July 26, 2010

vacation, and an award


Hello friends! I'm currently on Long Island, enjoying the much-cooler weather and a blissful lack of humidity while sleeping on my parents' couch and eating too many bagels. In other words, the usual. I've had a pretty good trip so far, but I won't be able to upload any photos until I'm back in Texas. Rather than regal you with picture-less posts (the horror!) I'm going to instead take a little vacation from The New Me. Regular posting will resume next week. In the meantime, enjoy this little blog award bestowed upon me by the lovely Historiadora on the Run, who was kind enough to single me out way back in early July.

In order to accept this award, I have to tell you seven things about myself and then pass this award to five other bloggers, whom I've recently discovered and find fantastic. Easy peasy! First, seven true facts about me.

1. I am not big on liquids. I love water and coffee and those two make up 90% of my liquids intake. This means I do not like juice, smoothies, or soda of any kind. The other 10% of my liquids (sometimes more...) consist of beer and wine. I don't like most cocktails because they are mostly juice or soda. (With the exception of a good gin and tonic.)

2. Despite the fact that I was born and raised on Long Island, and the fact that my immediate and extended family all have killer Long Island accents, I do not. There are a few words and phrases that I say with a hint of the Island, but for most part people are surprised when I tell them where I'm from, and then disappointed that I don't sound more like Snookie from the Jersey Shore.

3. I am afraid I won't love my new puppy as much as I love Seamus. I will adore him and give him the best home possible and spoil him rotten, but Seamus is just so perfect that I don't think any dog - not even the cutest puppy in the world - can measure up. This makes me feel like a bad person.

4. I have a habit of taking on too much and the guilt complex of a reformed Catholic. This is a terrible combination.

5. The older I get, the less I like labels. Once I found them comforting, a clear niche I could tuck myself into. Now, I see so many gray areas that none of those niches seem to fit.

6. Two things I never thought I would say: I love eating brussel sprouts and running marathons.

7. I have a secret wish to be a full time blogger with thousands of readers and comments, a la Pioneer Woman or Dooce. But then, don't we all?

As for fantastic blogs you should definitely be reading, here are five new-ish finds that I love:

Ashley and Stephen at (never)homemaker, for recipes, how-to's and running related nerdery.

The Voracious Vegan, for passionate compassion, gorgeous photography, and vegan buttermilk pie!

Jessica at What I Wore, for inspiring me to wear colors other than brown and green.

Simply Bike, for making cycling look fun and fashionable, and having a smile that lights up the Internet.

And last but not least, a new favorite: Effing the Ineffable, because Kate O is a kindred spirit with sharp wit and blazing honesty.

That's all for now. Enjoy the week and I'll be back before you know it! xoxo